Since 2012, the City has been working with the community and Caltrans towards rehabilitating the Fair Oaks Avenue Bridge.
Located between Kifer Rd and Evelyn Ave, the bridge crosses over the Caltrain tracks and Hendy Ave. The bridge was built in 1967, retrofitted in 1981 and 1993, and will undergo several improvements to address:
• Severe deck cracking/spalling
• Inadequate bike lane width
• No sidewalk on bridge
• Structural deficiencies with Sufficiency Rating of 47.7
• Existing pedestrian overcrossing non-compliance with ADA
Construction activities will encompass:
• Bridge widening along the east side
• New sidewalk on east side of the bridge and widen bike lanes
• Removal of existing pedestrian overcrossing
• Hendy Ave realignment and improvement
• Realignment of roadway along Fair Oaks connecting Hendy and Kifer
• Intersection improvement
• Water and sewer main replacements
• Landscaping/guardrails/streetlights installation
The project design begun in 2012 and was completed in 2017. CEQA Council certified the Environmental Impact Report in March 2015. Right of Way negotiations and acquisitions begun in March 2016 and were completed in March 2019. Caltrans issued the construction authorization in August 2019. Bids were opened on November 5, 2019. Construction has commenced on June 1, 2020 and is expected to continue for a period of 16 months, weather permitting. The total cost of construction is anticipated to be approximately $23.6M.
The City’s goal is to maintain one travel lane and one bike lane in each direction during this time. However, some short-term lane closures may be required. In addition, the Hendy Ave underpass area will be closed during early construction phases (approximately 8-10 months) to help expedite the overall construction schedule. Pedestrian access over the Caltrain corridor will be maintained until bridge construction is complete.